Anyone who knows me, knows I'm kind of the queen of side-hustles. What can I say... I love discovering new ways to make money. I find it interesting and kind of fun, since I love trying new things! Plus I love using my blog to write about my various experiences. 🙂
I've been doing the side-hustle thing BIG TIME over the past few years, mostly to support my various entrepreneurial ventures but also to help me pay off the 40k in credit card debt I accrued ever since I started my own businesses (I'm proud to say, I have officially paid it all off as of July 2017!)
At one point, I had 4 online businesses/blogs going, plus I was doing other things on the side, like dog sitting/dog walking, driving for Uber and Lyft, doing AirBnB, etc. Needless to say, I always knew how to keep myself busy. 😉
As an entrepreneur, you don't always have the most stable income, which can cause a lot of stress and sleepless nights each month just trying to figure out how you're going to be able to pay your bills. But by temporarily taking on a side job or two, you can totally make your dreams more attainable!
Side jobs can give you a flexible schedule, along with peace of mind, knowing you will be able to pay your bills on time each month. They can also be used to help you make more money to put towards a particular goal of yours, like a vacation, a new car, some new clothes, or even just some extra spending money to be used for socializing and having fun with friends.
The best part is that there are tons of companies out there these days that are making it super easy for people to earn some extra income using stuff they already have... like their own car, a smartphone, a spare room in their house, etc.
All that being said, I've been meaning to compile a list of ways people can make extra money on the side for a while now, so here it is! I've actually tried most of these jobs, so I can validate them as legit ways to earn extra cash!
Ready to start learning? I've compiled this list into two categories to make it easier to choose.
Choose How You'd Like to Make Some Extra Money:
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links which will reward me monetarily or otherwise when you use them to make qualifying purchases. For more information, please read my Affiliate Disclaimer.
1. Fill Out Online Surveys
Enjoy taking online surveys? This could be the perfect side-hustle for you!
- Swagbucks - Swagbucks is the largest and most reliable paid survey site. You earn points by doing things you already do, like shopping online, watch entertaining videos, searching the web, and answering surveys. You can then redeem your points for cash via PayPal or gift cards to a wide variety of retailers, restaurants, and online stores.
- Branded Surveys - Earn up to $5 per survey. You can cash out after you reach 1000 points and choose how you want to get paid: in cash, gift cards, or donate your earnings to charity.
- Inbox Dollars - Earn cash for doing what you love online. Read emails, take surveys, play games, sign up for offers, etc.
2. Create an Online Course
Do you have something you can teach? Why not share your knowledge online and teach a course?
- Teachable - Easily create an online course or coaching business with Teachable's powerful yet simple all-in-one platform. Best platform for newbies.
- Udemy - Udemy is a great online teaching platform for beginners because it gives instructors a lot of guidance to help them easily create their own courses and market their offerings online. Best for general knowledge learning and trainers.
- Skillshare - If you’re just starting out and aren’t sure where to start, SkillShare might be an appropriate choice for you. You can create courses that feature videos and a class project that's taught in short 10-25 minute segments. Best for creative courses and teaching.
3. Earn Cash Back
Enjoy earning cashback? Below are some cashback apps and browser extensions you can use to make some extra money doing things you already do!
- Rakuten - An online app and browser extension that automatically detects savings for you based on the website you are shopping on and alerts you of the potential cashback when you purchase anything on that site. As a bonus for signing up through my link, you'll receive your first $30!
- Honey - Honey is a free browser extension that unlocks the internet’s best deals. Whether you're shopping for clothes, booking a trip somewhere, or ordering a pizza online, Honey will automatically find, test, and apply the best coupon code for you at checkout, no matter which site you're shopping on! Honey can even find better prices on Amazon for you!
- Dosh - Receive automatic cashback when you shop, dine, or travel. Simply download the app, link your credit and debit cards, then live your life as usual. Every time you purchase something using one of your cards, Dosh will search available offers for you. If it finds one, you'll earn cashback! Once you accumulate $25, you can transfer it to your bank, PayPal or Venmo... or even donate to charity! What I personally like the best about this app is that there's no need for coupons, remembering discount codes, or receipt scanning! It's all done automatically for you! As a bonus for signing up with my referral code, TARAT102, you'll receive your first $10!
- Ibotta: An app and browser extension that helps you to earn cashback whenever you shop, both online and in-store. Shop from your phone or your computer and get rewarded with cashback on everyday purchases like groceries, takeout, delivery services, apparel, travel, and more.
- Checkout51: Earn cashback on groceries and gas. Take a photo of your receipt and upload it to receive cash back on select offers.
4. Do Some Online Coaching or Consulting
What are you a relative "expert" in that others might pay for your advice? Become an online coach or consultant and help others elevate a particular area of their life!
- Satori - Satori makes it easy and affordable to start and grow your coaching practice online. If you'd rather focus on coaching and forget the admin stuff, this would be the platform for you! They help automate the admin while delivering stellar client experiences so coaches can grow their coaching practice with confidence.
- Clarity.fm - Clarity.fm is an online marketplace that connects entrepreneurs with top advisors & industry experts! Offer your expert advice on a wide variety of business topics and start making $60/hr. or more!
5. Create an eBook
Love writing? Have some knowledge to share? You could create a book and sell it digitally as an e-book!
This doesn't necessarily have to be anything super long, it could be something repurposed like a compilation of your most popular blog posts, a book or recipes, or even a digital planner!
Another alternative would be to set up your site using the free plugin Easy Digital Downloads which allows customers to receive their purchase automatically after payment. You can see an example of this on my client's site here.
Other Places You Can Self-Publish eBooks:
6. Start a Blog
Blogging is a great way to earn some extra money on the side and you can literally blog about anything! I started my first blog/online business back in January of 2013 and since then I've created 3 additional blogs, all with their own niche! Blogging has become my main source of income over the years and has continued to be my preferred method for passive income (although be aware that that does often take some time to build).
I got started simply by setting up my blog on WordPress and then just learned as I went.
Want Some Help Setting Up Your Blog?
Check out my design services here or check out my posts below!
- How to Start Your Own Blog
- How to Setup Your WordPress Website with Bluehost
- Business + Blogging Resources
- More Blogging Tips
7. Sell Your own Products and Services Online
Want to sell your own products and services? Start an e-commerce shop! Below are some ways you can do this.
- WooCommerce - Start your own business and sell products, services, memberships, subscriptions, etc. on your own website! WooCommerce empowers anyone to sell anything, anywhere by offering a customizable eCommerce platform built on WordPress. If you'd like help setting up your shop, I can help!
- Fiverr - Fiverr is a global online marketplace offering tasks and services, beginning at a cost of $5 per job performed. Sign up for free, set up your freelance gig, and offer your work to a global audience.
- Creative Market - An online marketplace where you can sell your digital artwork, including graphic designs, website themes, fonts, photography, and more!
- Envato Market - If you can create digital assets such as website templates, WordPress plugins, stock videos, graphics, etc. this is an online marketplace where you can sell them!
- Etsy - Use this online marketplace to sell your handcrafted items like hand-made goods, digital downloads, printables, custom t-shirts, vintage items, craft supplies, and more!
- Storenvy - Create your own unique clothing designs, jewelry, crafts, art, and more and sell it on this growing peer-to-peer platform for indie artists!
- Society6 - Create original art, upload it to your artist shop, and sell it on a variety of products, from wall art, to t-shirts, to home decor, and more!
- Zazzle - Another platform that allows you to sell your artwork on a variety of products.
16. Credit Card Rewards
Earn rewards by shopping with credit cards that offer a reward program! It’s a great way to maximize what you earn on what you spend! The ones I've listed below offer 1-5% cashback every time you use it but there are others that offer rewards like frequent flyer miles for travel lovers or high cash back rewards from restaurants for foodies.
My Favorite Cash Back Reward Cards:
1. Sell Stuff you Already Own
Have some stuff laying around the house that you don't use? Why not sell it to make some extra cash!
- Craigslist - I've sold all sorts of stuff on Craigslist, from furniture to sporting goods to design services! It's a great way to make a little extra cash when you really need it!
- Facebook Marketplace is another great place to sell your stuff! You can sell pretty much anything: furniture, vehicles, property rentals, sporting goods, musical instruments, toys and games, apparel, books, luggage, pet supplies, home improvement supplies, and more!
- Bag Borrow or Steal - A place where you can sell your gently used designer handbags and accessories on consignment, or take a lower offer price and get paid right away.
- Poshmark - An easy and fun way to sell clothes you don't wear online. Simply upload a pic, fill in the description and name your price! Once shoppers purchase your item Poshmark will send you a pre-paid, pre-addressed label ready to be put on the box for shipping. Once your sale has been packaged, you can drop it off at a USPS mailbox or have it picked up for free from your home. Easy peasy!
2. Rent Your Stuff
If you have a bunch of stuff lying around your home that you don't really use, you could make some extra money renting this stuff out! This could include things like drones, video cameras, camera lenses, lawnmowers, ladders, drills, game consoles, musical instruments, sports equipment, electric scooters, and more!
Below are a few platforms that can help you advertise your stuff and connect you with others in your community who are interested in renting. The best part about these is they help reduce overconsumption and make it even easier for people to find and rent stuff for a fraction of the cost of buying.
Where to Rent Your Stuff Online:
- Fat Llama - The Fat Llama app is the easiest way to manage your rentals and purchases online + get instant updates. They help create more money for you and less waste on the planet. Simply list your item for free, upload photos, fill in your description, and set your price and location. Once you receive a rental request, you can approve it and arrange a convenient time to exchange your item with the borrower. You also get paid quickly! Within 3 days of the start of the rental.
- FriendWithA... - Earn money renting out your gear with the FriendWithA... app. They help you connect with renters, arrange a pickup/drop off, and get paid quickly! They also provide property coverage so you don't have to worry about a thing!
3. Rent Out Your Parking Space
Have an extra parking space you're not using? This could be a lucrative passive income opportunity for you! Put your unused parking space to work by listing it for others to rent during the days or times you aren’t using it. This could be hourly, daily, weekly, or even monthly!
To expand this opportunity even further, this does not include just cars, but could also include bicycles, motorcycles, recreation vehicles, campers, and boats!
Where to Rent Your Parking Space:
- SpotHero - SpotHero is an online marketplace that matches empty parking spots with drivers looking for a place to park. Simply submit your location, pricing, and the availability of your parking spot and start renting today! You can reach thousands of renters on the SpotHero app and website and you'll get paid monthly via check or direct deposit.
- Parquex - Another online marketplace that helps you rent your spot out when you aren’t using it.
- Spot - List your spot by providing your location, photos, description, and rates and you'll receive payment via direct deposit, PayPal, or Venmo.
4. Rent Out Extra Storage Space
If you have extra space in your home that isn't being used, you could rent those out as storage space to make some passive income every month! This could include your garage, extra rooms in your house, a closet, your basement, a loft, an attic, a shed, a warehouse, or even your driveway!
Here's How it Generally Works:
To get started, signup with one of the online platforms below, and they'll match up your empty space with other people’s extra stuff for free! After confirming your phone number, identity, and email address, you can add your listing and set your price using the suggested list price as a guide.
Once your space is listed for rent, potential tenants can chat with you about it. You can review their profile and, if you both agree, the renter will be able to rent your storage space through the app. The renter's credit card will be charged automatically each month and payouts will be directly deposited at the end of every month.
Create a new passive income opportunity for yourself this week by listing your extra space today!
Where to Rent Your Storage Space:
5. Drive with Lyft or Uber
Make money using your car and a smartphone! Set your own hours, be your own boss, meet new people, and get a direct deposit every week! You can also earn extra money by referring others! Once you become a driver, you will receive your own personal referral code, which you can use to help other drivers sign up and earn a referral bonus.
6. Pick Up Food, Run Errands or Do Chores for People
Some people simply just don't have the time or desire to do these things. Others don't have the ability. Help them out by doing these things for them, and get paid for it!
Task Rabbit - A platform that allows you to run small tasks for others. It can include anything from picking up groceries to cleaning or helping people move. Typical tasks take a few hours, but there are a lot of tasks available in most large cities.
Door Dash - Deliver food to people on your own schedule!
Postmates - Pick up food or other goods and deliver them by car, bike, or scooter.
Uber Eats - Deliver food to people on your own schedule, using your car, bike, or scooter.
Instacart - If you love grocery shopping, have a smartphone, and reliable transportation, Instacart could be a great fit for you! Instacart is a grocery home delivery service that provides same-day grocery delivery in as little as an hour. Instacart personal shoppers have the flexibility to work as little or as often as they want and make on average about $200-$500 a week.
7. Become a Promoter, Influencer, or Brand Ambassador
Love promoting stuff? Try some new things and make some extra cash letting others know about it!
- Street Team Promotion - Become a part-time brand ambassador and create better brand awareness for various companies. Give out free samples, talk to people, attend various parties and events, and get paid for it!
- YesStyle - Use your influence, share beauty and fashion products you love, and earn revenue!
8. Rent out a Spare Room, Your Entire Home or Create an Experience
If you own your condo or home and have a spare room that doesn't get much use (or better yet, your entire place!) you could rent it out to create some extra cash! I've personally hosted a room out of my place for a year and found the experience to be a pretty easy way to make some passive income! Plus, it was fun meeting new people!
Where to Rent Your Place:
- AirBnB - If you have a spare room in your house or apartment, why not try renting it out using AirBnB? It can help you pay your rent or mortgage, you can meet some cool people and you can gain some travel credits by sharing your referral code! You can also create an AirBnB Experience: a one-of-a-kind activity designed and hosted by locals.
- Vrbo - Much like AirBnB, but this site specializes in whole-house rentals. Great if you own a property but don't actually live there yourself!
- Homestay - Earn extra income renting out your spare room to professionals, international students, and tourists looking for nightly, weekly and monthly stays.
- Trip Advisor Rentals - List your room, home, boat, or villa with the world's largest travel community! You receive your payment 24 hours after the renter checks out.
9. Rent Out Your Car
If you barely use your car, you could rent it out and earn some extra cash while you do anything else but drive your car! This could potentially earn you thousands of dollars a year! You could use the extra money to pay off expenses on your car, pay other bills, or even take a vacation the same week someone is renting your vehicle!
You could rent to people who are looking for an alternative to large car rental companies like Hertz and Enterprise, or rent your car to Rideshare drivers that drive for Uber or Lyft!
Where to Rent Your Car:
10. Walk Dogs or do Some Pet Sitting
Love animals? Get paid to play with your furry friends!
Where to Find Pet Care Jobs:
- Rover - Walk or watch dogs for people while they are at work or when they go out of town! Set your own schedule and prices, choose from a variety of services to offer, and manage your business easily from their app!
- Meowtel - If you're more of a cat person, you can use this app to connect with cat owners in your community who need a sitter!
- Care - Create a listing and connect with local families who are in need of pet care.
11. Do Some Mystery Shopping
Help businesses improve their customer experience by doing some mystery shopping!
Search for Mystery Shopping Jobs:
- EasyShift - An app that allows you to find quick jobs at local stores, take pics of products, check prices, and review promotions... get paid!
- MarketForce - Get paid to eat and shop for free at your favorite brands and help make your local community better by helping stores, restaurants, and banks become better places for consumers like you to visit.
12. Work Part-Time in Retail
There are tons of retail jobs out there! Find a store you like, put in a few hours a week, and all of a sudden you've got some extra cash!
Search for Retail Jobs Online:
13. Offer Some Household Help
People are busy and sometimes don't have time to keep up on their housekeeping and daily to-do lists. Find jobs that help people around the home, like meal planning, cooking, running errands, shopping, cleaning the house, babysitting, etc.
Search for Household Jobs Online:
14. Donate Blood
If you're a healthy adult, you can help save someone's life, or at the very least improve the quality of it, by donating your blood. Spend up to an hour and a half, as often as twice a week, and receive up to a few hundred dollars a month.
Where to Donate Blood:
15. House Sit for People
If you love to travel, love pets, and are reliable, why not housesit for people who are out of town? You wouldn't necessarily make money doing this but you would get to have a place to stay for FREE while you travel around the world! Find housesitting opportunities across the US and beyond using the following platforms.
Search for Housesitting Gigs:
16. Get Paid to Be a Friend
Get paid to be someone's friend! You can set your own hours, work when you want, and earn some extra cash while you're out having fun!
Where to Connect with New Friends:
I Want to Hear From You!
There you have it, a bunch of ideas on how you can earn some extra cash on the side!
Do you have anything else to add to the list? Send me a message or comment below! I'm always looking for more ideas to add!