I have recently learned about EMF radiation and the harmful effects it can have on our health after my energy healer brought it to my attention. Since I use my phone and laptop to make a living, she suggested I invest in some products that would help protect me while I do my work.
Since many of us are using our devices and wifi more than ever these days, I feel like this is great knowledge to pass along to anyone who is interested in learning how they can take better care of their own health and wellbeing.
In this post, I'll be going over what I've learned about EMF's, plus what I've personally started doing to limit my exposure. If you are open to learning some simple ways you can make some shifts in your own life, I invite you to keep reading!
HOVER OVER THIS IMAGE TO PIN IT!
What are EMFs?
EMFs = electromagnetic fields. They are invisible lines of force that are present wherever energy flows. Since everything in this universe is energy, EMF's are created from everything, whether it's living or nonliving.
There are natural sources of EMFs and there are unnatural EMFs:
- A natural source would be the sun, which sends out waves that create electric and magnetic fields (EMFs), or radiation. At the same time the sun sends out EMFs, we can see its energy radiating out as visible light.
- An unnatural source would be something man-made, like electricity and wireless communications. These also send out EMFs, even though we can't see them.
Types of EMF Exposure
There are two different types of EMF exposure.
- Low-level radiation - This is non-ionizing radiation, which is mild and believed to be relatively harmless to people as long as they are exposed to small amounts of it. Things that give off this type of radiation include microwaves, computers, cellphones, Wi-Fi routers, bluetooth devices, household light bulbs, power lines and MRIs.
- High-level radiation - This is ionizing radiation, which is believed to be more harmful. Things that give off this type of radiation include things that send out ultraviolet rays, like the sun and X-rays from medical imaging machines.
According to the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), EMFs are “possibly carcinogenic to humans.” The IARC believes that some studies show a possible link between EMFs and cancer in people.
Although electronic devices like cell phones may have been around for a while, they have only been universal for about 20 years, with smartphones making their debut in 2007.
Because the electronic devices we use everyday are relatively new, and scientific studies can take up to 20 years or more to establish definitive conclusions that long-term exposure to low levels of radiation is actually harmful, all we can do right now is be proactive and take precautionary measures... just in case.
This means just being a bit more mindful about limiting our exposure to electronic devices as much as we can while scientists continue to study the long-term effects.
Why We Want to Limit Our Exposure to EMFs
1. EMFs Can Modify DNA and Genes
Studies have found that EMFs can tamper with our DNA and genes, which are the instruction manuals our cells use to carry out processes. Less than ideal things tend to happen when our cells don’t know what to do.
The best case scenario (but still not ideal), is our cells go under stress, which makes us feel tired all the time. The worst case scenario is our cells’ DNA gets damaged and things start to go haywire, which can ultimately lead to genetic mutations and cancer.
2. EMFs Can Cause Problems in the Brain and Nerves
The negative effects EMFs have on our nervous system matters the most because our phones spend a lot of time close to our heads.
Researchers have observed measurable changes in brain cells after EMF exposure. In addition, researchers are getting consistent results in rat studies showing that EMFs damage the protective layer of the brain, the blood-brain barrier. Since exposure can also cause headaches, the two could be related.
In addition, children are especially vulnerable because their brains are still developing, plus their body absorbs more EMF than an adult’s, so it's important to limit their exposure early on if we can.
3. EMFs Can Have Negative Effects on the Body
If you experience any of the following things after spending a lot of time on your phone, laptop, etc., you may want to try cutting back to see if it makes a difference.
- Disrupting the immune system
- Causing behavioral problems
- Damaging cells
- Sleep disturbance/insomnia
- Fatigue/feeling tired
- Lack of concentration
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Skin burning and tingling
- Fertility problems
How You Can Protect Yourself from EMFs
Since EMFs are everywhere it's impossible to avoid them all together. But there's also no sense in worrying about EMFs, as that will only add more stress and anxiety to your body! The goal is to reduce stress. 😉
The best thing to do is simply be aware of EMFs and then just be a bit more mindful about reducing your exposure.
Below are some simple ways you can do this...
1. Reduce the Time of Exposure
Exposure to low-level radiation takes time to have a negative effect. You can perceive it as a trickling stream of energy that could affect changes on your cells subtly over time. Short exposure may not affect the same level of change on your body as long-term exposure would.
Here are some things you can do:
- Put your phone on airplane mode or turn it off completely when you're not using it or while you are sleeping
- Turn your computer on only when you plan to use it and make it a point to take breaks throughout the day
- Turn off your wireless router before bed or whenever you're not using it
2. Reduce the Amount of Sources
The more devices you have and use, the more radiation you are exposing yourself to. One device won't harm you as much as 5 devices, so if you can reduce the amount of sources around you in general, that should be your goal.
It's important to know that it's almost impossible to disconnect entirely. Even if you got rid of all your electronic devices, there is still EMF radiation in the environment, thanks to WiFi hotspots, cell phone towers, and people around you connecting to wireless data. So just do what you can with what you have control over.
In addition, if you can use your microwave less or not at all, that would ideal. Microwaves blast your living space with a powerful wave of EMFs (much more powerful than your phone or wifi) every time you press “start.” A convection oven takes up just as much space as your microwave and heats up your food in about the same amount of time, without nuking yourself and your family.
3. Distance Yourself
Because of the nature of energy and physics, radiation is exponentially stronger the closer you are physically to it, which also means its strength decreases as you move away from it.
If you want to protect yourself, you should keep at least some small distance between you and the source of the radiation. Even a small increase in space between you and your cell phone or tablet, etc. can make a huge difference!
Here are some things you can do:
- Put your phone down or put it in another room when you aren’t using it
- Don’t put your phone in your back pocket or bra. If you must, switch to airplane mode while it’s there
- Use the speaker function or earbuds so your phone doesn’t have to be as close your ear
- Hold your phone a thumbpad length from your ear when speaking. You’ll still hear your phone if it’s slightly off of your skin. Better yet, talk on the phone using your earbuds
- Instead of putting your laptop on your lap, put it on a tabletop so it is farther away from your legs and reproductive organs
4. Use the Old School Cables and Wires When Possible
When you use wireless technologies, radio frequencies are used to connect devices, which sends EMF radiation through the air around you, instead of through a tiny wire. The more wiring you can use in general, the less EMFs will permeate your space and body.
Here are some things you can do:
- Use wired headphones instead of bluetooth headphones when possible
- Use an ethernet cable if you have a desktop computer
- Use a wired keyboard and mouse instead of a wireless one
- Use wired baby monitors instead of a wireless baby monitor
- Use wired speakers instead of wireless speakers
The list goes on, but you get the idea. Anything that could function through a wire like the "old days" will help you reduce your overall exposure to low-level radiation.
5. Invest in EMF Protection Shields for Your Devices
EMF shields will conduct, absorb, and dissipate the radiation that’s between you and your mobile device or laptop. I personally use and love DefenderShield's products so I will list a few of them below:
Cell Phone Shields:
Cell Phone Anti Radiation Wallet Case - This is the one I personally use and recommend.
Laptop EMF Radiation Protection & Heat Shield - This is the one I personally use and recommend.
6. Invest in Crystals
There are a few crystals that are natural EMF protectors:
- Black Tourmaline
- Smoky Quartz
You can wear crystals as earrings, as a bracelet or as a necklace and use them as a shield, add a few tumbled stones to your water as an elixir, or place a crystal between you and your electronic devices to soak up EMFs.
What Are Your Thoughts?
Were you aware of EMFs and the potentially harmful effects they can have on your overall wellness? Have you experienced any of the symptoms I mentioned? What do you think about all of this?
Feel free to comment or ask me a question below and I'll try to answer it for you!