In addition to my monthly income reports, I’ve recently decided to create weekly accountability posts that document my current struggles, goals and achievements for the week. These posts will include blogging, business & money stuff, as well as general life stuff (because I'm not always all about business!) 🙂
HOW I THINK THIS WILL HELP ME
- It will help keep me accountable by posting my goals publicly.
- It will give me a better sense of control and something to work towards.
- It will keep me motivated to keep improving.
- It will help me learn more about myself, blogging & business (I LOVE analyzing!)
- It will help me break things down and simplify my to-do list, so I don’t feel so overwhelmed (the goal is less stress, right?!)
- For my goals, I'm giving myself 3 things to accomplish in each category in order to keep things simple, which should help me to not feel so overwhelmed. All I have to do are these 3 things and once I finish them, I'm done for the week and I can go do whatever I want.
- It will give me an outlet to talk about this stuff ( I LOVE talking about business and blogging but I don’t have too many friends that can relate, and the ones that can are usually BUSY buildin’ their own thangs…)
- It will help me with my monthly income report.
- It will give me something to look back on to see how far I’ve come.
- It will hopefully help inspire and motivate others who are going through the same struggles (and maybe help us connect if we don’t know each other yet?!)
The top 3 struggles I’m currently working through this week.
- I'm still working on ideas to make extra money, especially since this month has been EXPENSIVE AF with random shit that seems to keep coming up. And my income has decreased this month, so that's a bit of a concern in itself...
- Trying to figure out a posting schedule for my blog posts and social media marketing. I recently signed up for Buffer and CoSchedule so I'm exploring those more but not sure if I want to pay for an upgraded service with them just yet.
- Interruptions while I'm working at home... this is becoming a serious issue that needs to be addressed because it's really starting to cause me a lot of stress and frustration. From a noisy neighborhood, to the dog barking, to the roommate knocking on my door needing to switch our cars around in our tandem parking spot; nothing pisses me off more! It seems silly but when I am in my creative zone, noises and interruptions cause me to lose my focus, therefore decreasing my productivity. Once I get back to what I was doing before the interruption, it's like I have to start all over from square one because I was knocked out of my groove. It seems the only time that is good to work is late at night when everyone is asleep so I have less of a chance of being interrupted. Maybe this is why most creatives do their best work late at night? I do put my phone on silent, I've turned off all my social media and email notifications, I close any browser tabs that I'm not using, I shut my window, I close my door, I wear headphones that drown out the noise, yet all of these things still don't seem to be enough. I kind of want to move to an isolated area in the middle of no where sometimes! I need complete and utter silence without interruptions, as creativity and new ideas need long periods of uninterrupted work. In addition to my frustration, I've also told my roommate to move my car herself when I'm working and not to interrupt me when my door is shut... yet it seems like she keeps forgetting. And I hate having to repeat myself.
- I'm trying to not think about how much money I have spent fixing my car over the past 3 months (I've had to bring it in 3 times for 3 different & very expensive issues!) Part of me feels like they were breaking things on purpose to get me to come back in and spend more money (that's the paranoia kicking in.) The other part of me feels like maybe I should have just gotten a new car because I don't think my car was even worth as much as I paid at this point. And then this other part of me is pissed that I have been working so hard to pay off my debt and then this adds a couple thousand back onto all that I just paid off. Seriously. WTF.
- I broke down crying the other day (in front of my boyfriend) because I had reached a point of overwhelm. There were just so many things on my to-do list, plus I felt like money was getting yanked out of me left and right (to fix my car, got a parking ticket, shelling out money to credit cards to pay off my debt, etc.) Then I was pissed that I was crying because I am not a crier and it's just... embarrassing. Plus I feel like it's personally a sign of weakness (in myself) and I want to be able to handle all my shit! I felt out of control in so many areas of my life that I just broke down. Then he took something I said the wrong way, which of course made things even worse! And it was just... a bad day.
- Trying to get back to my PR's in bench pressing and squatting at the gym (since before I went on vacation a month ago) but it's taking forever! Just frustrated that I lost strength and went backwards on progress. I'm going back to Boston for Christmas and I'm worried that I'm going to make progress from now until then but then go backwards again. I dunno, I just don't like working so hard for something and then losing it, grrrr.
My top 3 goals for this week.
- Finish watching all the videos in Melyssa Griffin's "The Blog Hive" blogging course. I bought this course last December and it's now almost a year later and I've only completed 36% of of it (I'm currently on module 3 out of 8.) There are about 10-15 videos in each module, on average, and each video is 10-30 minutes long. There is no reason I can't complete the rest of this course this week! It shouldn't take me more than 8 hours max to watch everything (15 videos x 30 minutes = 450 minutes... or 7.5 hours) so I'm going to break it up into an hour and a half a day for 5 days. Totally do-able!
- Write first blog post on HerbaMember.com
- Work on figuring out ways to decrease the interruptions while I work.
- Hit 110 lbs. for 5 benching and 160 lbs. for 5 squatting (going to try this again!)
- Lose 2 more lbs.
- Hit the gym 4 days (I want to see if 1 more day of rest helps with muscle recovery vs. 5 days of lifting. Plus I play soccer twice a week so if I don't go to the gym one day, but still play soccer, I don't get a full rest day.)
What I’ve accomplished since last week.
Publish this post. First one of hopefully many! Set up and try out CoSchedule. Finish reading the eBook "Create. Profit. Party! The Ultimate Guide to Passive Income for Bloggers, Freelancers, and Small Biz Owners!" by Sarah Morgan.
Hit the gym 5 days.
- Hit 110 lbs. for 5 reps bench pressing and 160 lbs. for 5 reps squatting (I only did 110 lbs. for 4 reps bench pressing and 160 for 3 reps squatting... but at least I made progress from the week before!)
Get my car back into the shop because there's yet another issue.
Extra Stuff I Did That's Worth Mentioning
- Fixed my MailChimp template for new blog posts (the old one was still using my old header.)
- Signed up for Buffer & tried it out with my Whipped Dream Instagram account. This is what I've been looking for to help me with my social media posts!
- Set up a business email for this blog, finally!
- Almost finished designing my new client's website, just waiting on feedback from her before it goes live! 🙂
- Lost 2 more lbs.! Officially 12 lbs. down since April!
Well, that's what I've got going on this week. I think these posts are definitely helping me keep myself accountable and motivated and so I will definitely be carrying on with them! 🙂